Sunday, August 2, 2009

FOOD

My partner is very much into organic foods. When I would eat meat that was from Fry's or IGA instead of Whole Foods, he would say to me "Jennifer your eating a very sick animal!" Despite this, I was still not convinced and if I was hungry I would eat a piece of meat that wasn't organic or grass fed. Food is food, right.

Well after seeing the documentary today, my whole opinion has changed. FOOD INC. shows what we don't know about the food industry. It shows just how corrupt and sick it is. Sick with a literal meaning.

Many years ago the industry was full of small companies. It wasn't as big business or as unhealthy.

However, today there are only a handful of big companies of whom the farmers sell their meat. I can't talk about the entire movie in this blog.

But I will start with the chickens. The chicken farmers are required to have mass amounts of chickens and are also required to have them grown and ready to butcher in 49 days instead of the natural way which is usually 3 months.

They give them hormones, and put them in the dark.

When the documentary showed inside the chicken farm. There were so many chickens and not enough space, some of them were dead. Some were even deformed. These were sick critters. They were all standing in their feces. This scene was appalling.

The company that set these requirements and bought these chickens was a common vendor.

The workers would go to the farms to retrieve the chickens and literally throw them alive into their trucks.

It was disgusting. They tried to show more chicken farms in the documentary; however, most of the owners were scared that their contracts with the vendor would be terminated. They didn't feel like risking their lively hood. They even admitted this.

This is just one part of it. I haven't even gotten to the cows. Perhaps, that will be tomorrow's blog.

After watching the documentary, I realized, how we get our food is extremely disturbing. If there is one movie you should see, for your life's sake, it's this one.

FOOD TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment